Author Topic: Is the Yak 9 over powered?  (Read 159 times)

NoNamesLeft

• View Profile
Is the Yak 9 over powered?
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:40:50 AM »
Just to start off, no, I don't think the yak 9 is over powered.

I don't own it, however I've never had trouble killing it in arcade or realistic, and not just with top tier planes, often im killing the yak 9 in realistic with a Bf109f, bf110 or fw190a3 and in arcade with the la5 or f6f3. Despite this I've seen A LOT of people complain about how broken the yak 9 is, in fact it's hard to go into a match where someone doesn't comment on it.

One thing I've noticed is that it climbs much faster and longer than it did in real life, doesn't turn like you'd expect and it also doesn't spin out nearly as easily as it should (the yak's were notorious for going into flat spins and killing new pilots due to their wing design). However I'm not going to complain about historical accuracy when 90% of planes perform better than they should in some regard. Anyways, my whole reason for making this post is to pose the question of; Is the yak 9 over powered?

I just want to get the communities consensus, maybe there's something I haven't noticed due to my not actually owning the plane.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:42:34 AM by NoNamesLeft »
Fw190>all allied fighters. Change my mind.

gm11

• View Profile
Re: Is the Yak 9 over powered?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:05 PM »
Model the density of air at various altitudes and how it affects engine power. Implement superchargers for engines that have more than one stage or speed. Right now, Russian planes seem overpowered compared to reality at altitude. Also, recalibrate the speed of the Yak-9; it is reaching 500mph in arcade and historic and can rip in level flight at 100% throttle once it goes past 700km/hr in level flight in realistic mode.

National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics

• Luck may run out, but .50 cals don't
    • View Profile
    • Nightshade YouTube Channel
Re: Is the Yak 9 over powered?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »
The game does not consider the effect of air density on engine power. Normally, planes use mechanically driven superchargers. These superchargers are specifically tuned for one altitude. Below that altitude, the pilot must throttle back to keep the manifold pressure at the limit, otherwise risking the engine being damaged by knocking. Throttling back results in the supercharger spending extra power to force air through the throttle, resulting in loss of power. Above that altitude, the supercharger cannot compress enough air to keep the engine running at maximum manifold pressure. Most planes have superchargers with two or more geared ratios, and function optimally at multiple altitudes.

Exceptions to that would be variable-speed superchargers, which adjust the gear ratio automatically (Daimler-Benz engines, late V-1710s, Mitsubishi Ha43-42, etc), and turbochargers. In the game, the engine power is constant throughout all altitudes. Ironically, all the planes that perform well at high altitude are best at low altitude in the game, and vice versa.

As to whether the Yak-9 is overpowered or not, it is definitely overpowered in historical and realistic matches, but not in arcade. There are P-47Ns that can outrun, outclimb and outmaneuver it.