Author Topic: Carburetor’s and the Japanese  (Read 188 times)

Scifer7™

• Russian bias))))
    • View Profile
Carburetor’s and the Japanese
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
Pretty sure that everthing past the A6M3 didn’t have a problem with a floating carburetor. Not sure about the A6M2. I’ve heard conflicting reports on this. Anyone want to clarify?

Edit: Did sum quik research and it turns out that the A6M2 didn’t have a problem with th carburetor. It appears as though US technicians (lol theres a big surprise) screwed up the installation of the carburetor causing it to cut out with - G’s. Should fix this in game.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:01:09 PM by Scifer7™ »
🅱️Oi

Kuroneko

• View Profile
Re: Carburetor’s and the Japanese
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 03:33:20 AM »
Pretty sure that everthing past the A6M3 didn’t have a problem with a floating carburetor. Not sure about the A6M2. I’ve heard conflicting reports on this. Anyone want to clarify?

Edit: Did sum quik research and it turns out that the A6M2 didn’t have a problem with th carburetor. It appears as though US technicians (lol theres a big surprise) screwed up the installation of the carburetor causing it to cut out with - G’s. Should fix this in game.
In a test in realistic mode, I suffered two speed losses (stall) because of the carburetor, I do not know if this also drain the fuel (Had the "THR" in 100%)
Note:
All this happened when taking off, bombing the enemy fleet and trying to return (failed)

Focke WulfϟϟSchlG 2ϟϟ

• FW-190-A4 is the pinnacle of technology.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »
I haven't noticed it much. A stall here and there but that's it.
FW-190's will always be superior to Spitcancer's

Kiowa40

• All Glory is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:14:42 PM »

I remember reading something about the A6M2s Carburetor somewhere and how it was different from most aircraft at the time. It had a way of maintaining continuous fuel flow even under negative G's.

I also read something about how people think it had engine cut outs under negative G's primarily because the results pulled from flying the Akutan Zero. The Captured Zero found in Alaska. The one that Crashed -___- .
These results were determined after the Zero was made "flight worthy" ... meaning they weren't actually testing a legitimate Zero. Things were replaced and changed to get it back into the air. It is likely that because of this, it caused the Zero to start coughing under negative G's.

I actually found the reference of what I was talking about here:
https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/doubt-about-the-a6m2-supossed-negative-g-engine-cut.19708/#post-530447

Of coarse, this isn't 100% proof on anything. Only an idea of what really happened.

Also, some have suggested that it may have used a "Pressurized Carburetor" and this is why the Akutan Zero had engine cut outs at negative G's. Because the Americans who repaired it were unable to replicate the Carburetor to working properly as it should.

I primarily disagree that the Zero should have engine cutouts because it isn't 100% a fact they did. I mean who here has read anything stating someone in a dogfight with a Zero distinctively remembers a Zero cutting out when pulling negative G's?
What about those who flew it? I've read and watched interviews with Veteran Zero pilots and I don't remember one instance with any of them pointing out one of the Zeros flaws was "it's float carburetor." Stuff like "stiffness at high speeds", "Lack of armor or self sealing tanks", or "poor top speeds and dive speeds" is all I really hear. Never once a complaint about the Carburetor...

That's just me, though. What do yo guys think?

Cheers.
If the A6M5 gets added to Wings of Duty, I will quit the forums forever. Lets make it happen!

Your Aircraft must be an extension of yourself..