Author Topic: Why I deleted Wings of Duty  (Read 3263 times)

Bong

Why I deleted Wings of Duty
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:52 PM »
        I have done something I promised myself I would never do... I deleted Wings of Duty. I have spent more money than I care to admit on this game, I've been with It since it was released, but my patience has finally run out. This game has lost its charm; it used to be about SIMULATION and realism. Now it is simply about racking up kills in an A6M8 or blowing up a carrier; or worse role playing and filling the chat with illiterate gibberish. I'm not trying to hate on role players, but it is just not something I can tolerate any longer. If roleplaying is something that gives you fulfillment, then knock yourself out, just leave me out of it. Top tier spam has made playing in the low/mid tiers virtually impossible. Most of all, this game is now boring. Perhaps it's just because I've played for so long, but there are only two play styles: turn-and-burn or boom n zoom. Nearly three years of development, yet no plane has broken the mold and had a unique play style yet. I will continue to monitor the forums to see if the condition the game is in changes, but, not to be pessimistic, I highly doubt that will happen. I'll be around when GSIV comes out but that's a long way down the road.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:32:58 PM by Dillon™ »

FrostFang

• View Profile
Re: Why I deleted Wings of Duty
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:38:06 AM »
        I have done something I promised myself I would never do... I deleted Wings of Duty. I have spent more money than I care to admit on this game, I've been with I since it was released, but my patience has finally run out. This game has lost its charm; it used to be about SIMULATION and realism. Now it is simply about racking up kills in an A6M8 or blowing up a carrier; or worse role playing and filling the chat with illiterate gibberish. I'm not trying to hate on role players, but it is just not something I can tolerate any longer. If roleplaying is something that gives you fulfillment, then knock yourself out, just leave me out of it. Top tier spam has made playing in the low/mid tiers virtually impossible. Most of all, this game is now boring. Perhaps it's just because I've played for so long, but there are only two play styles: turn-and-burn or boom n zoom. Nearly three years of development, yet no plane has broken the mold and had a unique play style yet. I will continue to monitor the forums to see if the condition the game is in changes, but, not to be pessimistic, I highly doubt that will happen. I'll be around when GSIV comes out but that's a long way down the road.
I agree on alot of points made here
"Men, we're surrounded! But this is good, as we can shoot in any direction!"- U.S. General Tony McAuliff, Battle Of The Bulge.

Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMvgTemHe_D4jCJJuLtlrRw

JohnyRocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 01:32:29 AM »
        I have done something I promised myself I would never do... I deleted Wings of Duty. I have spent more money than I care to admit on this game, I've been with I since it was released, but my patience has finally run out. This game has lost its charm; it used to be about SIMULATION and realism. Now it is simply about racking up kills in an A6M8 or blowing up a carrier; or worse role playing and filling the chat with illiterate gibberish. I'm not trying to hate on role players, but it is just not something I can tolerate any longer. If roleplaying is something that gives you fulfillment, then knock yourself out, just leave me out of it. Top tier spam has made playing in the low/mid tiers virtually impossible. Most of all, this game is now boring. Perhaps it's just because I've played for so long, but there are only two play styles: turn-and-burn or boom n zoom. Nearly three years of development, yet no plane has broken the mold and had a unique play style yet. I will continue to monitor the forums to see if the condition the game is in changes, but, not to be pessimistic, I highly doubt that will happen. I'll be around when GSIV comes out but that's a long way down the road.
I would had the kept the game and taken a break. If you spent all of that money you are wasting all of that money.
Don't take life too seriously you can't make it out alive anyhow. - Hank Williams Sr.

gm11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:44:32 AM »

Seeing all the flak bursts from hotspots of the Wings of Duty community on this forum, Facebook post comment sections, and related Discord servers, it comes no surprise to us that this stark reality would finally manifest itself in the form of a post.

I profess that I am total, willful protest against Phanotek’s decisions made in the development of Wings of Duty as much as I can without resorting to actual, physical harm or threats and within the boundaries this forum’s rules. Extreme, utmost force is being considered as a solution to the damage this game and others has done to me. In a month from now, I am launching a new post to follow-up my previous New Year’s Resolution post. Here is a preview draft.

The punishment I have yet to perform on these game apps on my iPad Pro is yet to be decided, however.

The games have had a heavy toll on my productivity and still do, admittedly. These were explained in my New Year’s Resolution post.

In addition to this preview, what I could tell you from this I have sided with Bullet Force and Forward Assault over Wings of Duty. However, that is largely due to the financial contribution that the developers games are providing to make to make my plan possible in return for the work I’ve done for those games (I have a job in their dev team). However, they have also profoundly contributed similar amounts of damages. It is possible that they will be equally punished alongside Wings of Duty.

In 2015, I envisioned Kirby and Wings of Duty as mutual, cooperating interests. That turned out to be the truth... at least, for a while. In 2018, in my gamer history, they are opposing forces, plunging my history into a state of imaginary, near civil war.

After our demand for the game’s balancing issues and toxicity to be urgently fixed, our voices have not generated the desired impact... we got the F4U-1A Corsair, which would tip over the game’s balance even further towards the US with its F4U-4 performance upgrade. This is the final nail in the coffin. It’s time to use diplomacy and reconciliation one last time (the Q&A), which is tomorrow. If change does not happen, I’m declaring all-out war!

I have pre-ordered the newest Kirby game coming to Nintendo Switch, Kirby Star Allies, which is set to release on March 16. On that day, I will present the new Goldmaster Diary entry in uncensored form to melt the culprits’ hearts to molten lava. Be prepared to feel the wrath of our new trump cards if Wings of Duty’s direction does not change for the better. The top tier spam, consisting Zeroes M3/8’s, Lightnings, Thunderbolts, Corsairs, and Marauders, has no way to run nor to hide from our cardinal weapon! Mark that date on your calendars!

Despite the alarmingly elevated levels of tensions between two conflicting interests, let us hope for the most peaceful, win-win solution.

I wholeheartedly support your decision, Dillon! May you long benefit from the fruit that shall come from your decision!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:52:11 AM by gm11 »

Storm

• gIgGiTy GiGgItY cYkA bLyAt RuSh B xAxAxAxA)))))
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:19:57 AM »

Seeing all the flak bursts from hotspots of the Wings of Duty community on this forum, Facebook post comment sections, and related Discord servers, it comes no surprise to us that this stark reality would finally manifest itself in the form of a post.

I profess that I am total, willful protest against Phanotek’s decisions made in the development of Wings of Duty as much as I can without resorting to actual, physical harm or threats and within the boundaries this forum’s rules. Extreme, utmost force is being considered as a solution to the damage this game and others has done to me. In a month from now, I am launching a new post to follow-up my previous New Year’s Resolution post. Here is a preview draft.

The punishment I have yet to perform on these game apps on my iPad Pro is yet to be decided, however.

The games have had a heavy toll on my productivity and still do, admittedly. These were explained in my New Year’s Resolution post.

In addition to this preview, what I could tell you from this I have sided with Bullet Force and Forward Assault over Wings of Duty. However, that is largely due to the financial contribution that the developers games are providing to make to make my plan possible in return for the work I’ve done for those games (I have a job in their dev team). However, they have also profoundly contributed similar amounts of damages. It is possible that they will be equally punished alongside Wings of Duty.

In 2015, I envisioned Kirby and Wings of Duty as mutual, cooperating interests. That turned out to be the truth... at least, for a while. In 2018, in my gamer history, they are opposing forces, plunging my history into a state of imaginary, near civil war.

After our demand for the game’s balancing issues and toxicity to be urgently fixed, our voices have not generated the desired impact... we got the F4U-1A Corsair, which would tip over the game’s balance even further towards the US with its F4U-4 performance upgrade. This is the final nail in the coffin. It’s time to use diplomacy and reconciliation one last time (the Q&A), which is tomorrow. If change does not happen, I’m declaring all-out war!

I have pre-ordered the newest Kirby game coming to Nintendo Switch, Kirby Star Allies, which is set to release on March 16. On that day, I will present the new Goldmaster Diary entry in uncensored form to melt the culprits’ hearts to molten lava. Be prepared to feel the wrath of our new trump cards if Wings of Duty’s direction does not change for the better. The top tier spam, consisting Zeroes M3/8’s, Lightnings, Thunderbolts, Corsairs, and Marauders, has no way to run nor to hide from our cardinal weapon! Mark that date on your calendars!

Despite the alarmingly elevated levels of tensions between two conflicting interests, let us hope for the most peaceful, win-win solution.

I wholeheartedly support your decision, Dillon! May you long benefit from the fruit that shall come from your decision!
I fully agree with all the points made here. At a point in a games history, the devs HAVE to begin to listen to the playerbase and community if they want to succeed. And if they don't then the game will fail. That is what is happening to WoD. Because they are determined to stay with the dessert of "new things" with a few sprinkles of bug fixes, well it's like a Mark IV driving through a city with machine guns shooting down on it; it's gonna end up with a lot of holes in it. I personally believe there needs to be better communication among the community itself and establish a set list of reasonable "necessities" that we have deemed required for the success through the eyes of the consumer.

Matt™

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:28:40 AM »
I would had the kept the game and taken a break. If you spent all of that money you are wasting all of that money.
There’s a difference between taking a break because it’s getting boring but you still like it,and deleting it because it’s become utterly trash.

The best job Phanotek has ever done was the 3.6 Era of Gunship 3. Minor technical bugs did not change the fact that it had reached a level of perfection unseen in any of the Games since. There was a legitimate sense of realism, Flight models were good. There was a legitimate threat everywhere you looked when playing what me and my group would do(Usually Campaign 2),MiG Players,SAM Sites. There was actual variance in the Missions and it was never ending matches. You gained absolutely nothing because there was no progression system because you got everything from the start(Except G Tolerance),and that was fine.

Technically it was near perfect. One game mode,you could remove HUD In private servers(Which everybody did,frequently). The Day-Night cycle looked good. As did the game as a whole. By this I mean it looked unique at the time. The Day-Night cycle gave a Hazy Look to it at times and it looked realistic. While perhaps not in technical terms the most realistic as far as ground textures went,it was the most unique and best looking to me. Flight Models were good. Right before the release of 3.7 there was nothing Game breaking as far as bugs go, 3.7 is what gave us that instead.

As Jeremy Clarkson put it when comparing the feel of the Lexus GSF to the Lexus LFA, They got it so perfect that they themselves have no idea how to do it again.
I’ve posted more than anyone in this community’s history. And every one is a regret.

ERIC

Storm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:18:58 AM »
There’s a difference between taking a break because it’s getting boring but you still like it,and deleting it because it’s become utterly trash.

The best job Phanotek has ever done was the 3.6 Era of Gunship 3. Minor technical bugs did not change the fact that it had reached a level of perfection unseen in any of the Games since. There was a legitimate sense of realism, Flight models were good. There was a legitimate threat everywhere you looked when playing what me and my group would do(Usually Campaign 2),MiG Players,SAM Sites. There was actual variance in the Missions and it was never ending matches. You gained absolutely nothing because there was no progression system because you got everything from the start(Except G Tolerance),and that was fine.

Technically it was near perfect. One game mode,you could remove HUD In private servers(Which everybody did,frequently). The Day-Night cycle looked good. As did the game as a whole. By this I mean it looked unique at the time. The Day-Night cycle gave a Hazy Look to it at times and it looked realistic. While perhaps not in technical terms the most realistic as far as ground textures went,it was the most unique and best looking to me. Flight Models were good. Right before the release of 3.7 there was nothing Game breaking as far as bugs go, 3.7 is what gave us that instead.

As Jeremy Clarkson put it when comparing the feel of the Lexus GSF to the Lexus LFA, They got it so perfect that they themselves have no idea how to do it again.
I actually began multiplayer during the 3.6 era, before that I'd never left single player. God those were the days.

And I just got hit with the nostalgia bus. Well time to redownload all the GSIII games.

gm11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:37:57 AM »
The frequent, friendly chatter from the vast majority of the players is a big thing I missed from Gunship III. It was not uncommon to see players greeting when joining and leaving games. Players exchanged GG’s and other compliments after good dogfights. The roleplay was relevant and fitting to the game’s theme. The ProBoards forum members were met with lots of civility. Having fun was the main goal of the vast majority of players.

The good old playerbase started to die out when the cheating scandal happened in 2015 after {} symbols were used to hide players’ name tags. The introduction of different difficulty modes split the playerbase. This was the start of the deviation from the simulation feel the game had.

Wings of Duty and the SMF forum was the destination of the pilgrimage of the old-timers.

From the start, it had fundamental flaws that players would take advantage of if balancing mechanics were not implemented before this game went big. The rush to higher tiers and unchecked fundamental flaws encouraged the mentality to change.

Admittedly, even I was part of the problem but broke out of conformity quickly.

Master Plan to Fix the Game

We have to fix the game balance, flight models, point rewarding, and have proper matchmaking/era system. Once we have those, the advertising campaign can begin. They must listen to player feedback to keep this game balance, realistic, and fun while earning more money as more players download the game and buy planes.

Phanotek’s team can expand with more income, and bigger YouTubers could start noticing the game.

More income means more devs can be hired, stretching the amount of possible additions to the game.

We have to get ahead before a well-established competitor can catch up. Third Wire’s Strike Fighters Modern Combat, although an arcade-like game, is already good enough that it outclasses Wings of Duty in some aspects. For example, the daily login system in that game is an incentive to keep people playing in the long term. It is much more accessible without an Internet connection. One player was posting about how he preferred that game over this one in the comments section of the F4U-1A post on Facebook.

Once we have the simplest improvement, rebalancing scoring system, we must move to have a spawn point system for tank battles and matchmaking. Quickly move on to having completely reworked, realistic flight models and add the proper planes for Britain and Japan so that the tech trees are restored to parity. Do this before any more high-tier planes or maps. These additions can be worked on simultaneously.

Add more tutorials for single-player and rework the main menu tutorial. Make missions and single-player versions of all multiplayer maps so players can practice. Add new AI targets, both planes and tanks. An in-depth mission editor should be implemented.

Strike Fighter Modern Combat’s single-player advantage will be negated if Wings of Duty gets these additions for single-player.

All maps should have better lighting at night so more night fighting will be encouraged. Possibly have the day-night cycle even for historic battles.

Daily missions to get gold will be our answer to the competitor’s daily login system.

Add proper in-game moderators and chat filter to get the toxicity under control. Only paid devs themselves and the most trustworthy players should have the powers.

The rest is up to whatever player feedback happens in the future...

obsitos

• Courage leads, luck escorts us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
i stopped playing a bit more than a month ago, as i did not want to relearn dogfighting because of some stupid/unexplained changes (that nobody asked for - at least not on the forum...)

- they moved the flaps next to the fire button
- also changed the zoom in/out to look around (while using the rudder)

these were just the last drops in the glass...
the chronic issues:
- menu system which makes it very difficult to find out how many players are in the room, flying what planes
- flight models, namely the hurricane mk1 top speed, the slowing down at higher altitude, the 109g-s performance with the 20mm gunpods, and obviously the a6m3-8
- wingless and burning planes have to be chased instead of getting the kill credit
- unable to use left fire button (and the rudder) with rear gunners
- lack of era system to enjoy a good flight without top tier spam
- can't fly usaaf planes over europe (especially the ones with invasion stripes)
- fleets are right next to pearl/midway

bringing the new corsair - as others mentioned - will just cause top tier spam, but (let's face it) everyone will get it...  i hope the devs will allocate the resources gained from the corsair well...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:42:46 AM by obsitos »

Legendary

• дыхание
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
I agree to the full extent. I myself haven't played in about 3 weeks. tired of the same old shit. everything mentioned here is exactly what i have been seeing you took the words out of my mouth gm and dillon. ive noticed a lot of the usual players are gone and are being replaced with these kids. its a fcking day care. I dont plan on getting back on anytime soon. not til the devs start doing something progressive. this game blows right now. just blows. along with you guys, i also wanted to point out that i noticed kiowa felt the same way as you guys here back in the global ranking thread.http://wingsofduty.com/forum/index.php?topic=4591.msg80285#msg80285 . he also sounds like hes done with it all. so add 2 more to the list. fk this game
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:54:50 PM by Kibbles »
Я талией ваше время

Therealtpyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
I also haven’t played in a while. I stopped playing back when Tanks were made a part of the game. I get on from time to time to see whats new but haven’t found anything worth getting back on yet. AI planes would be something worth comeback for. Has anyone heard even a hint of if the developers will be making this a feature someday?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:54:56 PM by Kibbles »
"der Spieß Feuer ist überbewertet ... "
- Reality

SkyDavis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »
The frequent, friendly chatter from the vast majority of the players is a big thing I missed from Gunship III. It was not uncommon to see players greeting when joining and leaving games. Players exchanged GG’s and other compliments after good dogfights. The roleplay was relevant and fitting to the game’s theme. The ProBoards forum members were met with lots of civility. Having fun was the main goal of the vast majority of players.

The good old playerbase started to die out when the cheating scandal happened in 2015 after {} symbols were used to hide players’ name tags. The introduction of different difficulty modes split the playerbase. This was the start of the deviation from the simulation feel the game had.

Wings of Duty and the SMF forum was the destination of the pilgrimage of the old-timers.

From the start, it had fundamental flaws that players would take advantage of if balancing mechanics were not implemented before this game went big. The rush to higher tiers and unchecked fundamental flaws encouraged the mentality to change.

Admittedly, even I was part of the problem but broke out of conformity quickly.

Master Plan to Fix the Game

We have to fix the game balance, flight models, point rewarding, and have proper matchmaking/era system. Once we have those, the advertising campaign can begin. They must listen to player feedback to keep this game balance, realistic, and fun while earning more money as more players download the game and buy planes.

Phanotek’s team can expand with more income, and bigger YouTubers could start noticing the game.

More income means more devs can be hired, stretching the amount of possible additions to the game.

We have to get ahead before a well-established competitor can catch up. Third Wire’s Strike Fighters Modern Combat, although an arcade-like game, is already good enough that it outclasses Wings of Duty in some aspects. For example, the daily login system in that game is an incentive to keep people playing in the long term. It is much more accessible without an Internet connection. One player was posting about how he preferred that game over this one in the comments section of the F4U-1A post on Facebook.

Once we have the simplest improvement, rebalancing scoring system, we must move to have a spawn point system for tank battles and matchmaking. Quickly move on to having completely reworked, realistic flight models and add the proper planes for Britain and Japan so that the tech trees are restored to parity. Do this before any more high-tier planes or maps. These additions can be worked on simultaneously.

Add more tutorials for single-player and rework the main menu tutorial. Make missions and single-player versions of all multiplayer maps so players can practice. Add new AI targets, both planes and tanks. An in-depth mission editor should be implemented.

Strike Fighter Modern Combat’s single-player advantage will be negated if Wings of Duty gets these additions for single-player.

All maps should have better lighting at night so more night fighting will be encouraged. Possibly have the day-night cycle even for historic battles.

Daily missions to get gold will be our answer to the competitor’s daily login system.

Add proper in-game moderators and chat filter to get the toxicity under control. Only paid devs themselves and the most trustworthy players should have the powers.

The rest is up to whatever player feedback happens in the future...

I agree whole heartedly. Something else that should be added is bring back the old Gunship III eternal rooms as long as people are in the room. I find the game clock that counts down the losing team annoying. It takes a lot of good games and ends them short. It would be better to count victories in the game as missions completed and to go back to a room system that did not take into account team points that would eventually end the game room. I think as long as people are in the room doing what ever they are doing, it should keep the room open. Gunship III system just left the game more open for people to fly, hang out, and have fun. They would still have serious dogfights and struggles over completing the mission but it would not make it only about winning. I think a system like that also would encourage people to fly the planes that they like rather than just the top tier spam. I think it would do this because of the lowering of competition and the extra freedom it would open up for players. Because to tell the truth when I jump in a game with my P-40c right now, my instant reaction is not just to fly the plane because I enjoy it but to take it and grind every enemy aircraft into a burning pulp of metal and canvas until the enemy team runs away. Then my reaction is to go gun down the airfields and kill any soft ground targets that my .30 and .50 cal guns can kill. Although I enjoy this I prefer the old way of joining a game and not having that mental block or feeling of needing to win the game. Was much more fun to kill targets and then just be given a new mission to complete perpetually than to have the game just end after you are ahead or behind for so long.

Storm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
Personally the major reasons I don't play WoD is because I just don't find it as appealing anymore, hence why I've gone back to GSIII Vietnam.

Kibbles

• Community Moderator | Killer Kibbstar | Onii-Chan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
This is a very important thread, and it is quite sad to have seen it get so derailed. Apologies for not cleaning it up sooner-- It'd be nice if someone had reported it when it first got derailed.

Yes, even I myself had become fairly... Tired, of Wings of Duty. Not the entirety of the company's work-- The Vietnam and Korea games are by fair better in my opinion. What they tried to do with WoD has been entirely different than what they did with the previous games. Korea was a test bed for the new engine and some mechanics, but those have long been heavily overshadowed in WoD by... Well, entirely different mechanics.

Most, if not all, opinions here are very thought out and detailed. That is something that should be viewed by the proper audience. Further discussion may continue, but please keep it on topic. This thread is important.
For any questions or concerns, you can contact me at the following email address: Gunship3d.moderator.kibbles@gmail.com

JohnyRocket

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:41 PM »
This is a very important thread, and it is quite sad to have seen it get so derailed. Apologies for not cleaning it up sooner-- It'd be nice if someone had reported it when it first got derailed.

Yes, even I myself had become fairly... Tired, of Wings of Duty. Not the entirety of the company's work-- The Vietnam and Korea games are by fair better in my opinion. What they tried to do with WoD has been entirely different than what they did with the previous games. Korea was a test bed for the new engine and some mechanics, but those have long been heavily overshadowed in WoD by... Well, entirely different mechanics.

Most, if not all, opinions here are very thought out and detailed. That is something that should be viewed by the proper audience. Further discussion may continue, but please keep it on topic. This thread is important.
I can try
Don't take life too seriously you can't make it out alive anyhow. - Hank Williams Sr.